RSS

My backpacker life in New Zealand ~ by CHEN

by CPS
messages to u
Australia and New Zealand are the only two countries in the world available that issues Working Holiday Visa for Malaysians. I had applied this visa online in January 2011 to New Zealand to fulfill a dream to be a backpacker. My friend and I started our journey from Malaysia, after 10 hours flight, we departed on19 May 2011 and reached Christchurch. We moved to another city Hastings by plane.

Rotorua,NewZealand

Hastings is sheltered by ranges to the west which open up to reveal fertile rolling plains stretching all the way to pristine beaches along the coast. We were staying in YHA Napier.

YHA Napier,New Zealand

It was my first time being a backpacker and staying with other people whose I do not know before and they have a strange feeling for me. This beachfront hostel overlooking the Pacific Ocean is a former hotel built in 1921. The most surprising was there has a great view of the sea in front of the hostel, so that I can enjoy the scenery through my bedroom’s windows. The location was great and we just have to use only a few min walk to the main shopping, cafe and restaurant area. I found the lockers and Wi-Fi to be expensive but everything seems not bad. Staffs were brilliant, room and bathrooms seemed clean. We loved every minute, I felt very homely, clean and welcoming. Sometimes we had friends (they also from Malaysia) to visit for lunch or dinner which didn't cause any problems.



After one week, we took a bus to another city,Tauranga. We have been here for one month long. In city of Tauranga, we rented a room (NZ130 per person). It is a family house. The hostess was from Thailand. Very lucky, the second day in Tauranga, we have already got a job. It is a packing job in a kiwi fruit factory. The job is pretty tough job for man because you need to move the kiwi in boxes and make them a stack of 100 boxes. Each box contains around 10KG of kiwis. Averagely, you will need to move about 5 to 10 tons of kiwis each day per person. For woman, their jobs are to grade the kiwi, sort the kiwis into box and wrap the kiwi box.

~kiwi~

Although the job is a bit tough at the beginning, you feel pains all over the body, but it is fun and people here are helpful and nice to us. The season going change from autumn to winter so we had another chance to work as a fish parker! To be honest, I don’t like the dead fish’s blood scattered on my face, it is a horrible experience for me!



Mount Maunganui,New Zealand



















I worked in fish factory only for several times. The weather becomes colder and I decided to start to travel again before the end of my trip. Along my way I met people from all over the world, making friends and traveling together to few places.


~my lovely house mates~

It was a great experience for me and I hope it will be for you as well. It’s once in a lifetime opportunity and it’s only applicable for people that are below 30 years old. I am very happy that I got an unforgettable experience in my lifetime.


Time to go back...home

For more information on Malaysia Working Holiday Scheme, you can visit: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/




























  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

8 comments:

Unknown said...

wow..really nice view!! ha, maybe we can plan to go there one day,but not going to work just simply for fun traveling....u can be my NZ tour guide that time =)

Unknown said...

yes,this time i want to experience the skydiving! haha~^^(start to saving $$....)

Unknown said...

it is a very interesting experience! if you don't mind can i know how much cost its takes to go there?

I.Na.Ni said...

wow..I don't know about this programme and I will read more about it!

Anonymous said...

The view is nice. I hope that I can go there too.

Unknown said...

hi~Natrah Malek..i got bought the Airasia ticket as around rm 2k,btw we need to prepared rm2k-3k at there...but u can make it back if u r hardworking~hehe^^

Unknown said...

Chen, i had fun reading your blog..New Zealand is the adventure capital of the world. Hiking, sky diving, caving, bungy jumping, skiing – everything here is geared towards getting you outside and doing something good. As a popular destination for backpackers and budget travelers, travel around New Zealand is really affordable and there are many ways to save money. So, i hope i have a chance to travel there and receive a outstanding experience in New Zealand...

Bavani Rajendran said...

Hi....its for sure a beautiful place....i would love to go there some day....nice photos....

Post a Comment